This one was a hit on Instagram, so I figured you guys might want it on the blog!
Sweet Potato, Farro, and Veggie Casserole
Recipe adapted from Town and Country Markets
- 1 cup farro
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ten ounce bag of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups of milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 6 eggs, whisked with 1 tbsp of water
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook farro per package directions, set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat, then add the potatoes and the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in half of the grated Parmesan, set aside to cool.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, then spread farro in a layer on the bottom of the dish. Then layer the spinach, followed by the potato mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and seasonings. Pour over the potatoes, stir to mix the eggs in, and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, then place in broiler for 3-4 minutes to get a golden brown crust.
The beauty of this dish is that it’s very versatile. It certainly made for a good dinner to have on hand for the week we made it, but it would also be a great addition to a brunch! I think you could substitute in your grain of choice instead of farro and use whatever veggies you have lying around. For the meat lovers, Tim says he recommends adding in some sausage (I nixed that idea).
Let me know if you try it!
What’s your favorite casserole?
For some other F&F casserole recipes, check out: